Thursday, April 16, 2009

Where is this world going to?!

We've been seeing a lot in the news regarding the ugly turn ragging in colleges are taking these days! Made me think of my college days..of how I was ragged and how I did! It was pure and harmless fun from both sides! But, hearing the ragging stories doing the rounds these days send a shiver down my spine. Young freshers in college being beaten till they go blind! That's shocking! I am glad I finished college in better times! I was only asked to count the number of trees in the campus, made to sing and dance. The funniest that they made me do was to play kho-kho with jus one other girl. Imagine: I had to sit on the floor and she will run around me and when she says "GO" I will start running around her while she sits on the floor. It was HILARIOUS, not at that time though!

But, I don't think freshers these days are made to sing and dance or asked to count the number of steps and trees in the campus. They are being asked to strip and booze. And, when they refuse to comply, they get beaten black and blue! Is that why we are bringing up our kids? Jus so that they have to go through this at college! I can't imagine how twisted the minds of these Senior kids are these days! Kids these days aren't brought up with values. I am scared of the time when I will have to send Alvin to college!(He is not even into pre-school now!)

I have read somewhere that one should have a past juicy enough to share it with his/her kids when the time is right. I will definitely share my youthful days with Alvin. But, imagine the college freshers who are losing their youth to ragging!Who would want to recollect the trauma of stripping in front of strangers?! What will they have that can be shared with their kids?! Sigh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was real fun ragging my juniors in college.. we were great buddies.. the senior-junior rapport was great..

but sad state now.. especially the law college scenario.. but anyways dun wanna see another john david springing up..

Be said...

This sounds like the whole Hazing thing we have a problem with at a lot of US universities. Unfortunately, one of the best tech schools, MIT, has one of the worst reputations.

How have things gotten so bad?